Cisco Switch Reset

 This is one of those things I need to once in a while, and each time I have to do it, I need to re-look up how the steps.   So these notes are mainly for my future self!

To factory reset a Cisco switch, when the password is unknown!

1.  Obtain a console cable to connect to the switch.  Typically the pale blue rj45 to serial cable, other times a Micro USB cable.

2. Open a terminal connection to the switch, on a PC I reccommend either Putty or TeraTerm.  

3. Power on the Switch while holding the "Mode" button down; until the "syst" light will flash, and in the terminal window will show: "The password-recovery mechanism is enabled".

4. In the terminal window type: del flash:config.text

5. Then del flash:vlan.dat

6. Then reset

The system will reboot and have no configuration, it will present one with the wizard to setup new passwords and basic setup.



No comments:

Post a Comment