Repurposed/Recycled Sophos Firewall

 This Sophos XG210 came to me to be recycled, after pulling the cover off I noticed that it has DDR3 RAM, an SSD, and a VGA port.  I then said myself: "Hey wait a minute, this looks like a normal PC".  Hooked up a VGA cable and a USB keyboard, powered it on; I was greeted with a very familiar American Megatrends BIOS, then it booted into a specialized Linux OS.  Next I used my PartedMagic bootable USB boot drive to erase the drives then install Windows 10 just as a proof of concept.  Windows saw all the hardware, including all the NICs!

Intel Celeron G1820 CPU at 2.7ghz

8gb DDR3 RAM

Intel 120gb SSD hard drive

six 1gbps network ports

USB 3.0 ports

There is an internal PCI-e slot, that could be used but might require some creativity.





No comments:

Post a Comment