Buffalo Terastation NAS/Server

I got this one in recycling, I thought it interesting to play with.  It is has an Intel Atom 1.6ghz CPU, 2gb of ram (single slot of DDR2 so-dimm), dual network cards, USB 3.0, and a COA of Windows 2008r2 Workgroup Storage Server.  With a single Western Digital Green 2tb SATA drive it consumes a mere 24watts of electricity.  

Apparently when new it comes with a USB drive that one can reload the operating system, however since this is a number of years old and a recycle rescue, no such recovery was possible.  I loaded regular Windows 2008r2, which loaded fine, but require the hunting of drivers, unfortunatly the Buffalo tech support page is pretty useless.  For kicks and grins VMware ESXi v6.5 did run and install, however it would not see the NICs.   I didn't bother trying to hunt down compatible drivers.

I'd like to keep it and potentially run it as a FreeNAS or something but we only have so much need.  I'd like to put a 4gb module in it but apparently they are worth their weight in gold.






No comments:

Post a Comment